Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Mikepércs: Early Spring At The Pond

I placed the hide a week ago at the pond. The water reached only up to my ankles, which means that if there's no abundant rain then the water will disappear from almost the whole pond within weeks. On the other hand it's good because the shore birds will come. So, I have to take advantage of this little water.
Today I give it a try for the first time. Small ruff flocks are arriving, but there are redshanks among them too.
I can hear closing avocets' voices. A couple arrive, one of them walks on the right place:

Avocet

There's no wind, so the reflections can be seen well when the birds don't move:

Redshank

The avocets leave soon, when black-winged stilts arrive, however they don't stay either.
Meanwhile a coot stretches:

Coot

A few male garganeys and a female are coming, one of them starts bathing:

Garganey (male)

A coot is preening:

Coot

Before take-off:

Redshank

There are many coots, so they begin chasing each other:

Coot

A male ruff:

Ruff (male)

Ruff (male)

Stillness:

Garganey (female)

The garganeys are resting and preening at an ideal distance:

Garganey (male)

Garganey (male)

Garganey (male)

Garganey (male)

Sometimes I wonder what can these shorebirds find under the water, this time I managed to catch one of them with a tiny creature in its beak:

Ruff (male)

Then I hear something strange. I catch sight of the source of the sound on top of an elder bush, but by the time I push the button one of the birds is already flying away. I presume that I've been witnessed a buzzard mating:

Buzzard

Sometimes the food comes itself:

Garganey (female)

Garganey (female)

Garganey (female)

No comments:

Post a Comment