Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Mikepércs: Fog Again

I hoped for some fog for this morning after having some rainy days. However when I got up the stars were shining brightly, only the western part of the sky was cloudy.
So, I had a rest in the hide resigning myself that there won't be any fog this morning. But when I'm looking up after half an hour, I can see quite a thick fog in front of me. Only the birds are yet to come. I don't have to wait long for them, as a couple of garganeys are landing and coming closer, where their legs reach the pond bed:

Garganey (male)

After a some time they leave:

Garganey (male)

Soon stilts and avocets appear. But a lapwing lands too.
As I notice, there are two couples of avocets in the area, they pass in front of the hide several times:

Avocet

Avocet

The redshank couple is in the area as well, one of them comes closer:

Redshank

Black-winged Stilt

Meanwhile I can hear black-headed gulls approaching, they land but can't be seen well because of the fog. And they don't stay long.
Soon a redshank is having a bath nearby, ...:

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

... then it starts preening:

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Redshank

Black-winged Stilt


Meanwhile a few terns arrive.
The stilts stay nearby all time, and I notice that they have a nest in the rare vegetation, as one of them is sitting on it for a while.
Meanwhile a ruff turns up too:

Ruff (female)

Ruff (female)

The terns are flying above the water for quite a long time, ...:

Whiskered Tern

... and picking insects from the surface. I'm trying hard to catch them during this activity, however it's not simple:

Whiskered Tern

Whiskered Tern

I can see the stilts mating again, but this time they are close to the vegetation, so I can't take decent shots of them.

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

The lapwing lands again, this time accompanied by another one:

Lapwing

As the sun gets higher, the air is clearing, but the dewy cobwebs show how hazy the air was at dawn:

Black-winged Stilt

No comments:

Post a Comment