Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Mikepércs: Red-Necked Grebe

Yesterday the red-necked grebe appeared again on the pond! I saw it here 3 years ago, then I was able to make good shots of it, and I think it brooded then too, for I could record a young one as well.

I came out again this morning in the hope of making even better shots of it ... perhaps with a frog in its beak, not to be dissatisfied. :) As yesterday it choked down at least one frog each hour with a lot of effort. But all these happened a bit far from me.

I catch sight of it early in the morning when preening and the water surface is hazy a bit:

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Meanwhile I can't resist the coots in the morning sunshine:

Coot

Coot

The red-necked is getting closer and closer while preening:

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

A pochard comes close too, ...:

Pochard

... while the grebe is resting in ideal distance:

Red-necked Grebe

Coot

After some time it swims away to return later with a frog:

Red-necked Grebe

The frog has puffed itself up, so the grebe is struggling with it fo several minutes, ...:

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

... and manages to choke it down:

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Then it's having a long rest, but answers the mate's voice when hears it, ...:

Red-necked Grebe

 ... as it's not alone here, but they can be seen rarely together.

No comments:

Post a Comment