Moments From Nature's Secrets

Monday, June 18, 2012

Mikepércs: Young avocets

My hide has been standing on a new place for a week. I moved there in hope of making photos of the spoonbills and the young avocets which I noticed 2 weeks ago on that place. When I got there early in the morning the adult avocets appeared at once and cried indignantly around me. About 10 minutes later, when I finished my arrangements around the hide and got inside they moved away a bit and settled down. I discovered the youngs at the opposite shore. They’ve grown so much in a single week that they resembled better to their parents than to themselves when they were a week younger and were covered by brown feathers. After some time they began to move to and fro between the opposite shore and the place where my hide was standing. They were approaching but didn’t come within shooting distance. Meanwhile herons, egrets and gulls were flying across the pond. When gulls appeared above the avocet parents defending their children took off like fighters on an inimical plane attack and were chasing and attacking them until the gulls left the air space. I don’t think these were dangerous for the youngs as their size was almost of their parents’. Later the youngs came close enough so I was able to make some better shots: 

Young avocets

Having a bath:

Young avocet

Getting closer:

Young avocet

Nevertheless the parents didn’t allow them to get too close to the hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment