Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Mikepércs: In Frost

The real cold has come. The pool has been frozen completely. I brought some warm water, but it has frozen on the ice within an hour. So, the birds can't drink.
The sparrow hawk hasn't landed in front of me for long, so it would be great if it showed itself again. The nuthatch hasn't come recently either.

I get into the hide and in a few minutes the jays are in front of me:

Jay

Then a few tit photos come:

Blue Tit

Marsh Tit

I manage to get some of them perch on the thuja branch:

Marsh Tit

This jay perhaps can sniff up a few drops of water:

Jay

Tree Sparrow

The tits sometimes produce their alarm calls because the sparrow hawk often strikes in. This tree sparrow however doesn't fly away at once, but it's skulking tensely, so that it could launch itself in every moment:

Tree Sparrow

Later a hawfinch lands to drink, but it doesn't find any water:

Hawfinch

Suddenly a female sparrow hawk strikes in ..., a few wing-beats in the bush and if I see well ..., is it the white and black head of a great tit near its foot? Everything  happens so quickly, in the next moment the sparrow hawk is gone, I can't follow it with my eyes.
After half a minute the small birds are back again, they don't care about anything that's happened in the last minute.

Later I'm trying to record some scene:

Blue Tit

Blue Tit

Meanwhile the nuthatch appears a few times, it seems to be still collecting seeds for hard times.

The blue tit looks nice between these small blue berries:

Blue Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment