Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mikepércs: Mistle Thrush

I'm getting into the hide with the hope of another fieldfare invasion at the bathing pool today, of course with a redwing among them.
The tits are the first to come and they return often:

Great Tit

Great Tit

Great Tit

The jays however don't appear, not to speak about the fieldfares. They are here though, as I can hear their voices.
Then my attention is caught by the voices of some goldfinches. One of them is perching on the bush nearby. The others are coming as well and are landing on the side of the pool one after the other. Unfortunately they are covering each other, they can't be photographed well, and they don't want to use the end of the pool for drinking. They finish soon and get away.
The tits keep coming:

Great Tit

Great Tit

Great Tit

Great Tit

In a still period I decide to pack and leave, when the tits are back again. OK, I stay for a while, taking the camera and the tripod out again and waiting for the tits to fly in. Suddenly I notice a jay coming in the distance. But as it gets closer I realise that it's not a jay but a thrush. It's landing right on the side of the pool. It's like a song thrush, but a bit bigger. It must be a mistle thrush then! I haven't met this species yet. It's just looking round there for a long time, fortunately the camera's noise isn't disturbing it. Then it turns round and starts drinking leisurely:

Mistle Thrush

Then it thinks that it can have a bath in addition:

Mistle Thrush

Water is sprinkling:

Mistle Thrush

Having finished with bathing it flies away, but I can still hear its voice for a while.
I take a few shots of the tits before I leave:

Blue Tit

Great Tit

Although I haven't really received all that I came for today, I'm still satisfied with the new species I managed to record.

No comments:

Post a Comment