Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Mikepércs: Avocets

It was so cold yesterday morning that few birds came to the pond for they had no chance to find anything on the frozen shore. A few yellow wagtails, pipits and common reed buntings landed on a distant bank, but they didn't came close enough. So I couldn't take any decent shots.
Today I give another try. I expected cloudy, and I don't start early. However there are few clouds on the sky. Unlike yesterday, there are many birds on the water and on the banks. On my appearance they leave the place, and some time is needed for them to return. So I miss the best lights. There are many avocets, black winged stilts, a few redshanks and ruffs. But I can see little ringed plovers as well.
A yellow wagtail is searching among the green plants:

Yellow Wagtail (male)

The pond is getting lively: the avocets spring at each other regularly, the redshanks and the ruffs chase each other now and then. Periodically a few avocets turn at each other chattering as if they discussed an important issue, ...:

Avocets

... then they spring at each other crying before retire. This repeats many times.

There's little water left in front of my hide:

Avocet

Avocets

I observed redshanks, avocets and stilts mating today. Unfortunately they were quite far from me, this couple of stilts were the closest:

Black-winged Stilts

The avocets' mating procedure is similar to the stilt's: the female gets stiffen stretching her neck forward, then the male starts preening himself close to her. He's fumbling in his plummage with his beak, then after 1-2 minutes this activity gets more and more intense, then he jumps on the female's back, ...:

Avocets

... does his job and springs down before the couple stays close to each other intimately for a few seconds.

Lapwings are coming too:

Lapwing

Avocet

Suddenly one of the avocets is walking to the shore just near a nice plant, ...:

Avocet

... it's stretching, ...:

Avocet

... then it walks back to the water.
Soon a redshank arrives at the same place:

Redshank

The avocets are chasing each other all morning:

Avocets

Avocets

Slowly so many birds have gathered that there's a white or brown spot in the background on each image. The strong sunshine isn't doing the things for my favour either, so I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment