Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Mikepércs: The Gadwall Returns

Having met the moorhens last time I expected them again this morning.
What I didn't expect was 3 black-winged stilt eggs in a tidy nest just a few meters from my hide!
Shall I leave or shall I stay now? Being curious and having prepared for a good photography I decided to stay and got into the hide quickly.
The couple of stilts return soon they are searching in the shallow water. I'm a bit worried about the eggs being left so long there, however they don't seem to be troubled about that.
After some time one of them brings itself to get on the eggs, but after 10-15 minutes it leaves the nest to feed again.
Meanwhile the mallards arrive, two avocets appear on the water, a couple of little ringed plovers are picking on the shore then a common redshank is having a bath near the hide. One of the little ringed plovers starts preening shaking its plumage sometimes:

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

It flies further a bit, ...:

Little Ringed Plover

... then it stretches its wings:

Little Ringed Plover

Later one of the stilts returns to the nest, but doesn't stay long this time either.
Meantime one of the mallards is stretching:

Mallard (male)

Soon the gadwall lands, and I'm glad to see it!
It's preening a little, ...:

Gadwall (male)

Gadwall (male)

... then it's having a long rest.
Look! This avocets is dealing with a nest too!

Avocet

But it leaves the nest and runs away:

Avocet

This time the moorhens don't come forward, I can see only one of them running at about 20 meters from my hide.
One of the stilts is getting on the eggs again and this time remains there.
Later the clouds arrive and it starts raining:

Mallard (male)

The gadwall gets up and does some exercises, ...:

Gadwall (male)

Gadwall (male)

Gadwall (male)

Gadwall (male)

Gadwall (male)

... then it leaves soon.
The rain starts again after a short pause. I'm waiting for the rain to abate then I leave quicly. Unfortunately I make the brooding stilt leave, but I hope it will be back soon. Then I won't disturb them again. However I'm not sure they will brood successfully as I've seen already a few devastated nests nearby an foxes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment