Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Mikepércs: Curled Sandpiper

Yesterday I moved the hide to the place, where the ruffs had been more active.
Getting to the hide at dawn I can only discover a few stilts and sandpipers nearby. It's been raining recently, so the water area has increased a bit.
The sun hasn't rised yet, but a few wood sandpipers already appear around the hide.
A bit later the rising sun gives them a beautiful golden colour:

Wood Sandpiper

As time goes by more and more wood sandpipers come, but I can discover a common sandpiper too.
Then a dark-headed yellow wagtail appears, it's either searching on the ground  or landing on my hide.
The mud is very sticky, so the sandpipers can hardly walk in it. They often use their wings not to get stuck in the mud:

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

Then comes what I've been waiting for: a flock of ruffs. I can only see one male, the rest are females.
They are a bit far from me and they fly away soon. Later however they return and I observe a smaller and reddish bird among them. I know that I can see something new: a curlew sandpiper!
If only they came closer! As if they knew my wish, the ruffs are approaching slowly with the curlew sandpiper among them, which is walking now definitely towards my hide. That's it! I can take already good shots of him:

Curled Sandpiper (male)

He keeps approaching:

Curled Sandpiper (male)

Curled Sandpiper (male)

He's preening even a bit:

Curled Sandpiper (male)

Curled Sandpiper (male)

Curled Sandpiper (male)

Then he goes back to the ruffs, as if he had come close just to have a few photos taken of him.
The ruffs are suffering in the mud too:

Ruff (female)

Suddenly a beautiful black spotted redshank is landing in front of me:

Spotted Redshank

Spotted Redshank

Spotted Redshank

Spotted Redshank

After a short search it flies away. It seems that the place is not the best for it.

Then I manage to take an acceptable image of the yellow wagtail too:

Yellow Wagtail (male)

Next the wood sandpipers are playing the main role:

Wood Sandpiper

Leg cleaning:

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

A good stretch is missing sometimes:

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

The flock of ruffs return again, this time with two female curled sandpipers among them. Unfortunately they don't come close enough, but the ruffs do:

Ruff (female)

Ruff (female)

Later the ruffs leaves the place again, and I do so because of the strong lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment