Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Fancsika Pond: First Try

The other day I received news about the water shrinkage at the nearby Fancsika pond where lots of herons are gathering. I decided to have a look at it this morning. What I found there was only a small puddle on the middle of the pond bed with no birds. However at the start of the canal at the outlet of the pond there was some water left which attracted many small birds: hawfinches, chaffinches, warblers, tits, collard doves arrived one after the other to the water to drink and to bath. At once I was thinking on a new project. If this puddle dries out then I would make a small drinking pool, maybe it would attract these birds too. Today I visited the place with a mobile hide to see if the birds still come to the water.
Recently there were a few rains so there was some left water in the canal. However I prepared with a sitting hide. The birds arrive soon: first two collard doves land to drink then a green woodpecker comes to have a bath. Unfortunately I have no chance to photograph them from 1 m above the water. Meanwhile a pied flycather lands on one of the landing branches:

Pied Flycatcher (female)

Unfortunately she doesn't stay long, something must be suspicious for her.
A young great spotted woodpecker arrives too and starts to peck the old branch:

Young Great Spotted Woodpecker

After that nothing comes for a long time so I decided to leave.
I wonder how intensely will the birds attend my small pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment