Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mikepércs: Little Grebes And Coots

At the end of last summer I took for granted that there wouldn't be any water at my favourite pond.
Few weeks ago however I discovered with pleasure that there is water in the bed, at least half a meter deep. Moreover, there were many ducks and coots on the pond.
Today I managed to get to my floating hide which I placed there a week ago.
Unfortunately the number of ducks has been decreased by these days, but I'm getting into the hide with high hopes at dawn. In the dimness I discover a grey heron in the vegetation.
I can hear the joyful "laughing" sound of the little grebes from different directions. I'm fond of these birds. It's a pity they rarely come close enough:


Little Grebe

A pair of marsh harriers appear screaming above the pond, but they are far a bit.
Three shovelers appear, they are floating towards the vegetation. Two males and a female. They seem to have found a good resting place between the twigs of a young bush. They are too far as well.
Sometimes a coot or a little grebe comes closer:

Coot

Little Grebe

Little Grebe

The coots' territorial fights would be a good theme, they are chasing each other quite often, but not always close enough, here's a running bird:

Coot

Diving:

Coot

Coots

Coots

One can't see very often a flying coot, now I've managed to catch this one:

Coot

Coot

No comments:

Post a Comment