Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Mikepércs: Shovelers

I didn't intend to photograph today but it appeared to be good lights in the morning, so I decided to visit the pond.
I bundle a few coots and ducks with my arrival, but I get into my hide quickly and start watching. Nothing happens for long, but later the coots start to come out slowly from the narrow reed strip. However they don't come close enough. I still record the threatening pose of a bird:

Coot

A pair of shovelers appear again, I think they are the same birds that I saw last time, they are floating to the place they were resting last week. This time they are a bit closer as I moved the hide a few meters forward last time:

Shoveler (male)

They are resting for a long time, and when I suddenly hear the buzzing sound of an engine, they take off suddenly to land just in front of my hide! I miss their landing, but I try hard to get the most of the situation:

Shoveler (female)

Shoveler (male)

They make a semicircle then float back to their resting place:

Shoveler (male)

Without them I wouldn't have been successful today, so I decide to move my hide near the opposite bank trying to make use of the morning backlights next time. I just can't wait ...

No comments:

Post a Comment