Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Mikepércs: Pochards

Today at dawn I trusted to photograph lots of ducks in calm weather.
It's still dark when I arrive to the pond, but I can see something bright on the water not too far. Is it my hide being swept there by the strong wind the other day? I'm getting closer ... yes, my suspicion proved to be true, my hide is not on its place. Fortunately its window is facing to me, so I can find out easily where it it. But it takes some time to put everything on its place. Unfortunately I managed to brush off a few ducks.
There's not much light when a few garganeys appear. A little farther a coot is doing some exercise when the sun starts to appear:

Coot

The little grebes start their daily route:

Little Grebe

The ducks however don't want to come closer, though they are here, just farther. It seems that the coot nearby has monopolized this area and it bundles off all the intruders.
A bit later a group of pochards appear, they are getting out of the reed and are approaching. They don't seem flustered, ...:

Pochard (male)

... they are scratching themselves, ...:

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

... and preening:

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

One of them starts to raise, ...:

Pochard (male)

... this is the sign of the "morning exercise":

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

Pochard (male)

Stretching:

Pochard (male)

There are females among the males as well but they don't come close enough.

Finally a little grebe swims accross in front of the hide. It looks so funny with its upstanding tiny tail:

Little Grebe

No comments:

Post a Comment