Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Mikepércs: A Rapicious Water Rail

This morning I moved the hide closer to the drinking place of the turtle doves hoping for better shots.
The first scene however was about a young water rail and its prey. I have read already about the rails capturing small birds as well, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this young specimen killing (I suppose) a kind of calidris. Even the young moorhen nearby went closer, I think it didn't believe its eyes either :) After having killing it the rail took the small bird and rushed with it into the reed:

Young Water Rail with its prey and a Young Moorhen

Instead of the turtle doves the young white wagtails appear first in the early sunrays:

Young White Wagtail

Young White Wagtail

Young White Wagtail

A few starlings land as well in hope of some food, they turn up the small clods with their beaks looking under them:

Starling

I couldn't cope with the turtle doves as I would have liked to, this is my result with them for today:

Turtle Dove

No comments:

Post a Comment