Moments From Nature's Secrets

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Mikepércs: Young Terns

Last night I hoped that I would have a hazy morning today, but when I got up I saw that I would have little chance for this as it was totally overcast.
Near the hide the terns are flying about already when I get there, though it's still dark. I could take lots of photos, as the birds are quite active, however it's getting light very slowly. Little grebes are coming then a pochard comes close with its youngs, they are swimming by really close to the hide. It's funny how these little birds start up to catch an insect, they launch themselves like a bullet.
A female shoveler starts to bath nearby, then another one arrives. They are paddling a bit then fly away. Female garganeys and common teals are feeding nearby as well.
Meanwhile young whiskered terns are landing on the trunk in front of the hide. They are preening, ...

Young Whiskered Tern

... having a rest, and when adult birds are approaching, they cry loudly for food:

Young Whiskered Terns

Young Whiskered Terns

Young Whiskered Terns

Young Whiskered Terns

Young Whiskered Terns

Later a third one arrives too, sometimes they take off but always return, obviously this place is more comfortable than the bending plants.
Finally an adult bird lands for preening:

Whiskered Tern

Whiskered Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment