Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Mikepércs: The First Tiny Tot

By now one of the stilts' nests must be empty. Before I get into the hide I move the hide on a bit and turn it, because the other direction is more promising.
The stilt that lands nearby is crying continously for a long time until it calms down in the end. The other stilt sits back on its nest that was built later:

Black-winged Stilt

It's strange that the bird nearby doesn't leave that small watery island it has landed on, and when I look at it more attentively I can see something moving next to it, two small legs are hanging out of its plumage. I haven't seen such a thing before, and I wouldn't have believed that this works in this way! Unfortunately the background isn't good, so I'm trying to make some videos.
Meanwhile a lapwing arrives:

Lapwing

Lapwing

Lapwing

A young lapwings comes as well, it's still covered with downy feathers, ...:

Young Lapwing

... and is crying continously. The adult bird doesn't tolerate it to stay long on this place, bundling it off.

Meanwhile I see that the tiny stilt slips out from the parent's plumage fom time to time (the parents rotate each other) to get back after a short time in the warm quilt:

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt


No comments:

Post a Comment