Moments From Nature's Secrets

Monday, June 17, 2013

Mikepércs: A Few Black-Winged Stilts

After a short break today morning I took my way to the pond again. I was curious wether the egrets still attend the pond where my hide stands. It was light already when I got there, but there weren't many birds on that pond. However I didn't find my hide on it's place, as it had floated into the reedy margin of the pond. I was surprised because it had been tied up. It seemed to have been a strong wind. It took me about an hour to get it out from the reed as the water there was deeper and I could not walk after it. I had to push it back from the opposite shore.
After all these I had little hopes to see many birds.
The coot couple which was brooding on that pond showed some activity and soon I discovered the hatchlings at the margin of the reed.
Then a few black-winged stilts landed in the shallow water to feed. Of course they preened themselves too now and then:

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

The disadvantage of long legs lays in the fact that it's a bit circumstantial to produce them when a scratch is needed:

Black-winged Stilt

Black-winged Stilt

Start! The first moments of taking off:

Black-winged Stilt

As the sun was shining more and more european pond turtles stuck their heads out of the water here and there:

European Pond Turtle

In the end I didn't manage to take shots of the coot hatchlings as they were far from me, so I decided to move my hide closer to the reed and tomorrow make another attempt to catch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment