Moments From Nature's Secrets

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mikepércs: The Adult Water Rail

At sunrise I was in the hide again at the pond, hunting for rails. I was able to photograph the first birds getting in front of me by good lights:

Young White Wagtail

Common Snipe

Common Snipe

Common Snipe
  
Meanwhile I was peeking continously at the shore vegetation looking for the rails and the crakes. Sometimes I could catch sight of some of them lurking between the reed-mace. I saw not only the water rails and the spotted crake but I noticed a young little crake as well. As soon as it had got close to the spotted crake, this one would drive it away at once. But the little crake would come back after a while, and the spotted crake would always make it run or fly away. All these scenes happened so quickly that I was unable to take photos of them.

Up to the present I've seen only the young water rails on this place. I wondered where the adults could be? And today one of the adults appeared walking ...:

Water Rail

... or running in front of me:

Water Rail

Water Rail

Water Rail

It was looking for it's breakfast among the wet water plants:

Water Rail

Sometimes it's head vanished in the vegetation:

Water Rail

Today the crakes didn't appear in front of me, but at least I could catch the adult water rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment