Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Mikepércs: Young Water Rail

Last time I moved my hide to the opposite side of the pondbed as I wanted to try and catch the moorhens. I wondered if they would get in front of me today. 
The wagtails appeared first this morning, young white and yellow wagtails were very active near the hide. The wood sandpipers walked in front of me too:

Wood Sandpiper

Then came a surprise: a young water rail came out of the thick reed-mace. But an other one was lurking there too. They always stayed close to the thick vegetation and they left it at most a few meters sometimes. One of them came too close to the hide so I couldn't take shots of it. Moreover, I noticed that they like to get under my hide as there is a space of about 10 cm-s between the bottom of  it and the ground. Obviously it must have searched for insects there. Tappings on the bottom of the hide indicated that it hunted there successfully.

Young Water Rail

Meanwhile a wood sandpiper was searching for food nearby as well:

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

The white and the yellow wagtails were picking up insects continously:

Yellow Wagtail

Later a lapwing came in for a short time:

Lapwing

A little ringed plover spent a lot of time searching for food around the hide:

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Little Ringed Plover

Sometimes it got very close to me:

Little Ringed Plover

This sandpiper found a big mouthful for itself:

Wood Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

Then the young moorhens came out of the reed-mace but I didn't manage to take good shots of them.
A ruff appeared too:

Ruff

The water rail got in front of me again:

Young Water Rail

Young Water Rail

Finally this green sandpiper was the last bird I photographed today:

Green Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment