Moments From Nature's Secrets

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mikepércs: At The Pond

Two weeks ago I took my hide to the pond, where I found a place where there's still some water. But there were many birds, as I observed earlier, especially coots, little grebes, ducks and a couple of swans.
It was getting light when I arrived at the pond, so all the birds disappeared with noise when they caught sight of me. Soon after I had got into the hide a loud swishing noise caught my attention: two mute swans were flying away in front of me. It's incredible what a noise these large birds can make with their wings when flying. 
Slowly the birds reappeared, first the coots then the little grebes and the ducks. As long as the coots kept the distance from the hide, the grebes came close sometimes. And so did a couple of garganeys.
Soon a shoveler came closer too:

Shoveler (male)

The gargeneys sometimes were really close:

Garganey (female)

Garganey (male)

Little Grebe

The coots however kept the distance:

Coot

Garganey (male)

Garganeys

Little Grebe

The coots were raising the devil with each other continuously, but not nearby, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment