Moments From Nature's Secrets

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Mikepércs: Hawfinches

Today I started for photography in the hope of catching the long-tailed tits again. On the sandy road to the hide I found a nice green worm. I picked it up at once, for not only a bird could be pleased with it, but myself too, if I could catch the moment. I placed the worm on a stone at the side of the pool, focused on it and waited for a bird to come and pick it. But they were not interested in it at all, nor the tits nor the tree sparrows. At least for a while, though the water attracted the birds:

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Great Tit

Greenfinch (female)

Suddenly I could hear the sounds of hawfinches from nearby. I have heard them a few times before, but they haven't landed yet. But now a beautiful male appeared on the side of the pool:

Hawfinch (male)

Soon came the female as well:

Hawfinch (female)

Hawfinch (female)

Moreover, I could witness this scene, too:

Hawfinches

Hawfinch (male)

Hawfinch (male)

Then they left to reappear soon and attracted my attention so much than I missed the moment when a great tit appeared on the stone where the worm was, picked it up and disappeared in no time, leaving me no chance to record the mement.

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Blue Tit

Blue Tit

Sometimes the greenfinches landed as well:

Greenfinch (female)

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Even a pheasant cock sneaked from among the bushes and started to search for seeds. I could take only a few shots as it was mostly invisible because of the pool:

Pheasant (male)

Today the sparrow hawk appeared again on the side of the pool. It had a look at every corner nearby searching for small birds. After having not found anything flew off:

Sparrow Hawk

Marsh Tit

Marsh Tit

Today I left the hide with delight again, as I was able to take some nice shots of the hawfinches.

No comments:

Post a Comment