Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mikepércs: The Stilt Hatchling Again

Today I was running for the stilt hatchlings again. It was still dark when I got to the ponds but the adult stilts had discovered me before I reached the hide. They began to cry right away. I got into the hide and soon I heard the peeping sound of the hatchlings then I discovered one of them next to a blade of reed. When gulls appeared and the stilt parents began to cry indignantly the hatchling crouched down to the ground. As soon as the danger had ceased the hatchling stood up again. After a while it started its way towards the opposite shore accompanied by one of its brothers and the parents:

Young Black-winged Stilt

After that young wagtails and wood sandpipers landed near the hide to feed:

Wood Sandpiper

Then the common sandpipers appeared as well. Sometimes they broke into a run to catch an insect:

Common Sandpiper

Sandpiper-like hunting:

Common Sandpiper

Wood Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment