Moments From Nature's Secrets

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Photography at the Tisza-Lake - day 4: Cormorants and Squacco Herons

The sun was already above the horizon when I got up. I looked out of the tent. Just a few coots were moving in some distance. Having breakfast, doing some reading, but still nothing happened. So I decided to pack my things in the tent. When I looked out again I saw my first guest: a cormorant was drying its wings on a dried branch:


The next moment I caught sight of a squacco heron on another branch:





It has observed something in the water and became more and more interested in it. The hunting has begun:


Its neck began to stretch:


It stretched ...:


... and stretched ...:


... and when you would think it can't stretch any further, it can!



The moment before shooting out its neck:


And finally shooting out:



The wind has made an interesting plumage for it:


Then another squacco appeared:


It has seen something as well:


And began to stretch:


Like a snake:


But suddenly it has calmed down. It seems that the prey has escaped:



Stretching one of its wings:


Then preening:


After that the coots came. First the youngs then the adult. I climbed onto a branch:



It rested and preened for a while then it left together with the youngs.
One of the squaccos flew a bit further and managed to catch a small fish:


The cormorant was still preening ...:


... and scratching itself for long:


The it was disturbed by coming boat and flew off. My time has passed as well so I packed my things and left for the harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment