Moments From Nature's Secrets

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Photography at the Tisza-Lake - day 3: Harriers, Mallards and Swallows

Today early in the morning my attention was caught by some tweeting sound. Soon I discovered a ferruginous duck leading its hatchlings. Unfortunately there wasn't enough light to take good shots. 
But later I had some tries with the harriers:

Marsh Harrier (female)

Marsh Harrier (female)

The mallards were using intensively the branch placed in front of my hide for resting and preening:

Mallard

The next day I planned to have a try at another place so I pulled up the anchor in the afternoon and left this place. On my way I met some swallows struggling with the strong wind as myself and often settled on a twig:

Swallow

The next 100-200 meters against the strong wind was very exhaustive as my tent drew the boat back like a sail. But I managed to get over it somehow. I the end a large area full of vegetation burst upon my view. I found a channel made by other boats and I took this way. Then I discovered a cormorant and coots settled on some dried branches. After a short speculation I decided to go there. It was a good decision. But I waited some time as the wind had become so strong as I thought it would tear my tent. Fortunately it became still in the evening so I could start my way through the thick vegetation. It was really difficult, I managed to move about 50-60 meters in half an hour! I anchored at the right place and went to sleep. As soon as it darkened the frogs began their chorus. But not continually. After 10 minutes of "singing" they hushed. Then after a while, when I almost fell asleep they started again. One could hardly believe what a big noise they can do. I didn't thought that I would need ear-plugs. So I didn't sleep too much this night.

No comments:

Post a Comment