Moments From Nature's Secrets

Monday, April 15, 2013

Fancsika Lake: Tryout of The Floating Hide

On our yesterday trip at the Fancsika Lake I saw a pair of Great Crested Grebe on a part of the lake where photography would be possible. I decided to try out my newly finished floating hide. I assumed that the birds would dislike the new object, but at least I would learn how it behaves on the water. So, I took it to the spot, assembled it and rowed to the right place. However I didn't see a bird. I could only hear the voice of the little grebe in the thick vegetation, but they didn't come closer. Then after about an hour the pair of the great crested grebe appeared in front of my hide. They were approaching but at about 20 meters they stopped and began to watch the hide. Then they continued their usual activities keeping the distance from the hide. So, I wasn't able to take very good shots of them but looking at the following picture one can feel something from the spirit of the spot:

Great Crested Grebe

I was hoping to see other birds as well but they didn't show themselves.
My hide behaves just as I expected however I have to work on the rowing and direction issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment