Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Mikepércs: Coots

Last time I placed my hide on the water, for I wanted to photograph the attentive coots feeding their hatchlings. So, I got into my hide with curiousity and waited for the coots.
I have to realise that these birds don't start the day too early, they appeared only after sunrise. Until then I was observing the pond turtles with their heads peeping out of water breaking the calmness of the surface of the pond.
Later the coots appear in the distance with their hatchlings approaching slowly.
Suddenly I see this upset coot starting off on one direction:

Coot

A few moments later a marsh harrier appears above the reed, perhaps that was the reason of such a wild behaviour, as a hatchling could be an easy prey for the harrier.
The coot family is approaching slowly, but they keep the distance:

Coot

Well ... so much for today, next time I will have another try, I cannot be satisfied with this result.

No comments:

Post a Comment