Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mikepércs: Lapwing Chicks

I've visited the pond again today.
The sun isn't rising yet, but the young wagtails are already flying around my hide hunting for insects.
A bit later the first sunbeams enlighten them beautifully:

Young White Wagtail

Young White Wagtail

Young White Wagtail

Young White Wagtail

Ducks aren't coming, lapwings neither ... or do they? A lapwing is approaching in the thick vegetation, but something else is also there! I notice two largish chicks, one of them just coming out from the undergrowth:

Young Lapwing

They make their way towards the water. After having spent some time there, they return. For my greatest pleasure they come close to my hide:

Young Lapwing

This chick must have been on a muddy place having bits of mud hanging from its plumage:

Young Lapwing

The other one appears too, but it's not as dirty as its sibling:

Young Lapwing

Then they disappear in the undergrowth.
Meanwhile a little ringed plover spends a few moments in front of me:

Little Ringed Plover

This parent follows its chicken attentively in the vegetation:

Lapwing

Later a roe deer appears on the quiet walking to the water where she drinks, ...:

European Roe Deer

... then turns back ...:

European Roe Deer

... to return into the underbush. The wind direction is good, she hasn't notice me. This is the first time I've taken photos of a roe deer from my hide.
A young white wagtail is preening a while in front of me before it flies away, ...:

Young White Wagtail

... then a moorhen is having a good bath near the hide, however the lights falling upon it are too ugly for a good shot. So I leave the hide soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment