Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Mikepércs: Another Surprise

I have hoped that the red-necked grebe would appear again today.
It's still dark when I set off to the pond this morning and it's overcast. But I'm hoping that there won't be too dark clouds in the sky.
When I get to the water I can't see the silhouette of my hide where I left it a week ago. Getting closer and closer I have to realise that it isn't there. I start to search for it and soon I observe it in the reed in the opposite bank. There was a strong wind yesterday, which could have carried it away. When I take it back to its place a duck lands about 10 meters in front of me. I thought the ducks see better in the dark. It needs several seconds to notice me and to take off.
The water is deeper than it was last time, it's more than waist-high at the hide. With some difficulty I manage to get into it. Coots, little grebes and ferruginous ducks appear slowly. The lights are getting better when I hear honking sounds. The greylag geese are coming! Unfortunately they don't land on this pond, they are flying rather towards the other pond. At this moment comes the surprise: a white-tailed eagle appears above the opposite bank! I want to turn up the exposure compensation, but in the heat of the moment I narrow the apperture instead :( Gosh!
I take a few exposures, (this is the best) ...:

 White-Tailed Eagle

... before it turns back and disappears.

Later a coot comes closer:

Coot

From time to time a couple of little grebes are swimming nearby, but I can't take a decent shot of them.

The ferruginous ducks are drifted closer by a coot, I manage to catch one of them in a nice pose:

Ferruginous Duck (male)

Coot

Unfortunately I haven't seen the red-necked grebe, perhaps it has gone from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment