Moments From Nature's Secrets

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Mikepércs: Ducks

I've been hoping that the red-necked grebe would reappear today.
I thought I set off early enough today, but I could see already quite well reaching the pond.
After having made some weeding in front of the hide, I'm just getting in when a pochard arrives. If only I've been quicker by just a few minutes, then it wouldn't notice me and would land. However, there's no light anyway for photography, and who knows how long it would stay there?
Nothing comes for a long time, only the little grebes are "giggling" nearby, many times very close to the hide. One of them is looking its reflection in the hide's window with interest.
The sun is already up when ferruginous ducks arrive ...:

Ferruginous Duck

... then a gadwall lands. First it's having a bath ...:

Gadwall (male)

... followed by the usual wing-beating:

Gadwall (male)

Then it comes quite close:

Gadwall (male)

A pochard pops up as well, ...:

Pochard (male)

All the ducks take off when I notice the cause of the panic: a white-tailed eagle! After half a minute I can see it flying across the pond in the side window. It's a huge bird!
It's come again! What a pity that it hasn't flewn in front of me.

The coots are chasing each other, I can catch one of them:

Coot

A few ferruginous ducks are landing again, two males are chasing a female:

Ferruginous Duck

The female comes close:

Ferruginous Duck (female)

Ferruginous Duck (female)

Ferruginous Duck

Ferruginous Duck

Ferruginous Duck (female)

Ferruginous Duck (female)

After some rest it's pleasant to make some stretching:

Ferruginous Duck (male)

Ferruginous Duck (male)

Ferruginous Duck (male)

Ferruginous Duck (male)

No comments:

Post a Comment