Moments From Nature's Secrets

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Mikepércs: I Succeeded!

I'm expecting the beautiful colours of sunrise again in my hide. The first rays have already long appeared, birds nowhere yet, I mean the coots are only among the vegetation, and the little grebes are enjoying themselves around the hide, one of them just in front of the window. Sometimes I've got the feeling that they climb on the pipes that are holding the hide. They are distracting me for some time, then they set off for a tour around the pond.
I start to feel that I won't have anything this morning when a garganey comes! It moves slowly in front of the hide, ...:

Garganey 

Garganey

Garganey


... then it steps up on the trunk I have placed it there before:

Garganey

It starts preening:

Garganey

Garganey

Garganey

Garganey

Garganey

Then it takes off suddenly to return after half an hour (if it's the same bird). It steps up on the trunk again:

Garganey

Garganey

Garganey

I will concentrate better on the take-off this time - at least I think so - however I miss the moment again. It flies away joining its fellows.

After a few minutes a coot is bundling something among the reed and this something is coming in front of me. and that's what I'm wating for weeks! The red-necked grebe! Now it's right in front of me and is dealing with something:

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

It dives ... I follow the bubbles and the rufflings of water, and as soon as it comes up, it's swimming away disappearing among the vegetation. But I succeeded!
Moreover, its mate (I think) is coming too, ...:

Red-necked Grebe

... stopping for a moment, ...:

Red-necked Grebe

... and moving on.

Soon the garganey returns having a bath ...:

Garganey

... then flapping its wings:

Garganey

Of course it steps up the trunk again to preen itself:

Garganey

Garganey

Garganey

Garganey

Meanwhile a gadwall appears but doesn't come close.

The little grebes return regularly to the hide, they seem to feel themselves very well around it, I can see one of them through the side window having a rest right next to the hide, it doesn't do anything, just turning its head every now and then, so that it doesn't look always in the same direction :)

As the lights become strong I decide to leave. I have already packed my equipment when another pair of little grebes meet the ones near my hide, which bundle off the strangers from their territory. I'm trying to assemble my equipment quickly, but it's too late.

A little later I pack it again when the garganey appears once again:

Garganey

This time it doesn't stay, it moves on.
Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment